Sometimes the best advice is tried and true. The U.S. News & World Report recently republished fifteen secrets to getting good grades in college. From choosing the right classes to attending the classes you pick, you may have heard these tips before, and they might seem self-explanatory. However, they might mean the difference between putting your education on hold or persisting through to graduation.
While all of these points are relevant, below are the five tips we think are most important.
- Attend class: We’ve talked before on the blog about how important it is to attend class. 97% of students who attend every class pass their course, whereas students who miss 3 or more classes have a 75% chance of failing their course. And because of Peirce’s accelerated courses, missing one class means you miss 12.5% of the information for the whole course. Showing up is important.
- Work with your advisor to choose the classes that are the best fit for you: Your advisor can help you build a course schedule that accomplishes your academic goals, puts you on the right path to earn your degree efficiently, and actually works with your schedule instead of burning you out.
- Study, study, study: It’s important to form good study habits, so you’re retaining the information as the professor is covering it in class. If you need help, contact the Walker Center for a one-on-one tutoring session, or attend a workshop.
- Build a support network, and take advantage of it: Think of your professors, classmates, advisor, and financial aid specialist as your very own support team! They’re all rooting for your success, and on deck to help you achieve your goals. If you need some extra encouragement from someone who’s been in your shoes before, you can also connect with an alumni mentor through the Peirce Student Mentoring program.
- Believe in yourself: You decided to enroll in college because you wanted to earn the degree you need to advance your career. Keep your eye on the prize and have confidence in yourself. You can do this. Peirce is here to help.
If you need some help getting ready for Session 4, attend our “Fall in Love with Spring Classes” pop-up registration fair, February 8th-11th from 5 to 7:30 p.m. in College Hall Lobby. Advisors, enrollment representatives, financial aid specialists, and student support services will all be on hand to help you get ready to start classes in March. New students are welcome!
For more information on support services at Peirce, click here.
Tell us what you do to get good grades in a comment below.